This week I was obsessed with velvet and mirror glazed cakes. I believe these cakes are already art, not baking :) And, also, I am glad that professional baking is moving from the sugar icings. Frankly, sugar icing is fun for kids, but, in terms of taste, it really distracts from the cake and who needs additional tons of sugar on top of some already in the cake? Anyway, I think velvet glazing is beyond my baking budgets (the sprays are ridiculously expensive), but mirror glazing looks fun and achievable. I will definitely test the approach soon and share the results here.
With kids on board, I missed baking a lot. The problem is I am back to dieting, my babies are too small for the sweet goodness and I don't want to balloon my husband who is faced with the challenge of finishing the cake alone. Unfortunately, guests and home entertainment are rare these days too, I think some of my friends think that the woman on the maternity leave is a dead woman :) So, I just had to come up with the diet friendly baking recipe. So, here we are, today I baked:
Low Carb Gluten Free Spinach Cakes
- 200g fresh spinach leaves
- 4 eggs
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 150g of margarine (I used Stork)
- 1/2 cup Splenda for the dough and 2Tbsp for the cream
- 1Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3Tbsp of coconut flour
- 2Tbsp of sesame flour (or any other low carb flour)
- 250g of mascarpone
1. Process fresh spinach in the food processor to the green paste. Add eggs and lime juice. Switch on the oven and heat to 180C.
2. Add soften margarine to the mixtures and process again. Then add sugar, sunflower oil, soda, vanilla and flour. Mix everything together.
3. Distribute the mixture to your baking form of choice - you can bake this as one cake or in a muffin mold as I did. I do recommend using silicone ones for low carb baking, because the dough usually contains higher proportion of eggs and they tend to stick to the metallic pans.
4. Bake for about 40 minutes at 180C if in a muffin mold, larger cake pans can take longer.
5. Mix together mascarpone with 2Tbsp of Splenda. Serve with cooled cakes and several blueberries on top (berries sourness goes nicely with sweet sponge).
Enjoy your diet!